As a business professional in a prior life, reading the articles about Instructional Systems Design (ISD), and ADDIE and ASSURE (two models for implementing this instructional approach) reminded me of the many training sessions I attended. The training sessions I felt I walked away from gaining the most useful information were the ones utilizing either of these instructional approaches.
ADDIE is an acronym for Analysis, Design, Development, Implementation, and Evaluation. Many have criticized this model as being systematic. I agree with this, unless you are willing to continue this model in a cycle. What I am saying is...Once evaluation has been made, take it back to the beginning and analyze the information gained from the evaluation to create a better design, or even back to the point of implementation to make adjustments that will result in the evaluation you were looking for. The instruction cannot stop once evaluation has been made. The evaluation must bring you and your learner to the next step in understanding.
The ASSURE Model is as follows:
- Analyze learners
- State objectives
- Select instructional methods, media, and materials
- Utilize media and materials
- Require learner participation
- Evaluate and revise
As an educator, you can have an overall lesson you are planning to teach and a general outcome you would like to have your students attain. However, you must also understand that no two people learn alike. Using the ASSURE model of instruction will help accomplish that.
Used appropriately, both models will help your students attain higher levels of thinking

No comments:
Post a Comment