It is the age old conflict of good vs bad, but applied to technology. I recently read an article, "Nine Rules for Good Technology", by Stephen Downes. In the article, Mr Downes first addresses the issues of technology literacy among teachers and the need for technology in the classroom. My understanding is that he feels technology that is useful and user friendly should be available in the classroom, and that teachers must be knowledgeable enough to use that same technology purposefully and easily. He makes very valid points in the nine rules he lists. They are as follows:
- Good Technology is always available
- Good Technology is always on
- Good Technology is always connected
- Good Technology is standardized
- Good Technology is simple
- Good Technology doesn't require parts
- Good Technology is personalized
- Good Technology is modular
- Good Technology does what you want it to do
I found the article to be very interesting. And as a result of reading it, I now find myself referring to this list as I am introduced to new technologies to see how they rank. The list will be a tool in helping determine what technologies I would like to use in my future classroom.

No comments:
Post a Comment