Sunday, February 7, 2010

What is a teacher?

This past week we have been discussing, researching, and reflecting on teaching and learning.  We were given the assignment of defining 'learning'.  It is amazing how many variations are available to define one word.  And teaching, at least not in current educational settings, is not just providing facts and information for memorization.  Students, because of the technologies readily available to them both in school and out, learn very differently than you or I did 5, 15, or even more years ago.  Teachers have to adjust their teaching styles to integrate technology, when available, and to engage and stimulate their students.
Our classroom discussion also encompassed Curriculum, and the various types of curriculum.  (Are you surprised we were discussing curriculum in a class called Curriculum Planning and Development??)  Our discussion and subsequent assignment helped me to realize how many variants truly affect the classroom; what is taught; how it is taught; what is not taught and why; what is learned; how it is learned; how parents, religion or lack thereof, politicians, administrators, peers, teachers, and students themselves influence curriculum.  There is so much to consider when teaching our children.  How do our educators fit it all into one day, one quarter, one semester, one school year?  How is it determined what is most important for the students to learn?  We all know this varies to some extent on what is going on in society, but who makes that final decision?
As part of my coursework I am required to complete ten hours of fieldwork observation.  I will be observing a teacher, his classroom, and reflect on how what I am learning as a future teacher is put to use in an actual classroom.  I am curious already to find out this teacher's perspective on the various types of curriculum, and how they pertain to his classroom.
A Teacher... that is what I have decided to pursue as a career.  Yet when you think about it, I already have some experience... I have three children.  Even despite that, I think we all teach each other something at some point in our lives, whether we realize it or not.  Have you ever shown someone how to play a board game?  Have you ever shown someone how to fix something?  Have you ever lent a hand  when someone asked for help?  Have you ever shared your opinion on something?  Can't each of these be considered a 'teaching' experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment