In our study of the five core educational philosophies, we used a teaching method called Jigsaw Learning. Essentially it breaks the class into equal size groups (called base groups). Each person within the group then becomes an expert on their particular topic. The experts for each topic then meet to discuss their expert topic, sharing information, presentation options; the experts return to their base group and share their 'expert' information with the base group. It creates responsibility for each member of the group, no one person is left to the wayside.
After participating in this activity, I considered how I could implement this teaching style into to my own classroom. And then I remembered my son telling me about a group project he is doing in his Science class. They are using this in his classroom! It is definitely a method that is being used and works in the classroom. The excitement my son showed when sharing with me about this project was amazing; he showed true ownership, interest, and enthusiasm about the project.
For more on this topic: Jigsaw Classroom
No comments:
Post a Comment